The Top 25 Termite-Infested Cities
By: Guest Contributor
Those cities, according to the pest control service, are as follows:
2. Los Angeles
4. San Antonio
5. San Diego
7. Memphis, Tenn.
8. Jacksonville, Fla.
10. Tampa, Fla.
12. Orlando, Fla.
16. Sacramento, Calif.
18. San Jose, Calif.
19. Baton Rouge, La.
21. Savannah, Ga.
22. Nashville, Tenn.
23. Little Rock, Ark.
24. Tucson, Ariz.
25. Louisville, Ky.
Termites often flourish in warm, humid environments, and cost more than $5 billion in damage to businesses and homes annually in the United States.
Because these pests tend to remain out of sight, they can cause extensive damage before homeowners even realize there is a problem.
“Now that spring has arrived, we often see an increase not only in temperatures but also in pest-related activity, especially with termites,” said Joe Magyar, regional training manager for Terminix.
“For homeowners living in areas that experience damp and humid weather conditions, it’s important to be aware of early warning signs for termites before damage becomes significant.”
Depending on the species, termite warning signs could include:
- Blisters in wood flooring, which look like small cracks or holes
- Hollowed or damaged wood
- Evidence of the pests themselves, such as discarded wings
- Droppings that resemble sawdust or coffee grounds
- Mud tubes, which look like pencil-sized dirt tunnels, near the base of the home
Early detection and termite control can help prevent a small termite problem from becoming an expensive ordeal.
Homeowners can also take some simple measures to help reduce the risk of a termite infestation, including:
- Trimming shrubbery near home exteriors to allow airflow around damp areas
- Using products such as synthetic mulch or pea gravel when landscaping, particularly close to the structure’s foundation
- Properly maintaining home exteriors to prevent water from leaking onto wooden siding and windows
- Ensuring crawl spaces are properly ventilated to minimize the amount of moisture around floor joists and subflooring
FURTHER READING:Learn more about termites here:
You May Also Like:
|Tip for Cleaning Under the Refrigerator||The Top 25 Cities with Mosquito Problems||Watch Danny in Houston||Husky Mobile Job Box|